It is a device that is used for wireless communication over long distances. Another name for a cell phone is a mobile phone. One can communicate with any person in the world with the help of various mobile applications. Currently, cell phones are being used in other fields as well.
Although now thousands of phones are launched every year, but in this article we will know about some important history which has given a new direction in the field of mobile.
Let us learn about the history of cellphones in this article:-
History of Mobile/Cell Phone
Alexander Graham Bell invented the first telephone in 1876. In this, sound signals were sent with the help of telegraph wires, so that people could talk to each other even over long distances. On October 9, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas A. Watson spoke to each other over the telephone over a two-mile wire stretched between Cambridge and Boston. This was the first wire conversion ever.
A pocket-sized folding telephone with a very thin carbon microphone was developed by Eric Magnus Campbell Tigerstedt, the foremost inventor of Finland. Its size was almost equal to the size of a mobile. Patent was successfully filed for this telephone developed by him in 1917.
- The idea of cellphone & cellular network was first mooted by Bell Laboratories in 1947.
- An engineer named William Rae Young suggested that, if a radio-tower was arranged in a hexagonal pattern, it could support a telephone network.
- On 3 April 1973, Martin Cooper, an American engineer, at a press conference in New York City, launched his first cell phone, the “𝐃𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐓𝐀𝐂”, which was developed by a team of Martin Cooper and Motorola.
- The first call from this cellphone was made by Dr. Martin Cooper to & ‘ ‘s head, engineer Joel Engel.
On December 1, 1979, the world’s first cellular network using analog technology was launched by Nippon Telephone and Telegraph Company (NTT), a Tokyo (Japan) company. This network can be defined as a precursor to cellular network or 1G network.
In 1984, the Motorola company launched the , cell phone. It was the first portable cell phone available in the commercial market. It cost $3,995 at the time, which was quite an expensive price tag. The talk time of 30 minutes was offered by the company in this cellphone.
- In 1991, a Finnish company, Radiolinja, first launched a second generation cellular network (2G) in Finland using the Global System for Mobile Communication standard.
- Munich smart-card maker Giesecke & Devrient developed the first SIM-card to use the Radiolinja company’s cellular network in 1991.
- On November 10, 1992, the Nokia company launched the – model of the -𝟏𝟎𝟏𝟏 cellphone.
- It was the first cell phone in the world to use the GSM standard.
The first (Short Message Service) / text message was sent between two cell phones in 1993.
- In 1994 the first Smartphone “𝐒𝐢𝐦𝐨𝐧” was designed by IBM company and its manufacturing, Mitsubishi Electric Corp. done by. Due to Simon’s features and its capabilities, it is considered to be the first True Smartphone.
- The phone comes with e-mail capabilities, and features such as an address book, calculator, calendar and notepad.
The world’s first commercial camera phone was , launched in Japan by Kyocera Electronic Company in 1999. Front facing camera with 110,000 pixel resolution was included in this phone.
- RIM (Research in Motion), based in Waterloo, Ontario, launched -𝟓𝟖𝟏𝟎 in 2001.
- This was the first such device made by Blackberry.
- Which was launched with support for features like push email, mobile telephone, text messaging, Internet faxing, web browsing and other wireless information.
- was the first company to launch the 3rd Generation Cellular Network (𝟑𝐆) in Japan in 2001 using the WCDMA standard (Wideband Code Division Multiple).
- Sprint to Nextel Communications (𝐍𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐥) in 2005
- Merged with Telecommunication Holding Company and Major Internet Carrier.
- On June 29, 2007, Apple Inc. launched its first smart phone.
- This phone used 2G cellular network standard. That’s why this phone is also known as .
- The first WiMAX Network (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) was launched in June 2008 in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Amsterdam, Netherland. It is the 4th generation cellular network (𝟒𝐆), which provides high speed network on wireless microwave technology.
- (𝐇igh ech omputer) Corporation launched on September 23, 2008.
- It was the first commercially smartphone to use the Linux ased Android operating system.
- The first (𝐋ong erm volution) network for 4th Generation (𝟒𝐆) cellular networks was launched in Sweden by TeliaSonera in December 2009.
- LTE is a mobile phone network, which is a standard for wireless communication of data.
- It increases the speed and capacity of GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA networks.
- Dell launched in November 2010.
- This was the first smartphone in which the Windows Phone Operating System was used.
- T-mobile network was used in this, but it was not easily available in the market, it had to be bought only from Microsoft retail store or direct from Dell.